Five ways to celebrate Cinco de Mayo at Home
Since the stay at home ban will have barely been lifted by The Fifth of May, celebrating at home is a smart way to go for Cinco de Mayo this year. As a result, you can celebrate at home. A suitable version of Mexican food is simple enough to make. Maybe you can find some brightly colored table cloths and some lovely décor. Cinco de Mayo made simple! So, here are some quick and easy tips to try with your family.
Making homemade salsa
- 4 diced tomatoes
- 1/4th diced average white onion
- 6 slices diced Jalepeno
- 1/4 c chopped Cilantro
- Salt to taste
First, chop up all of the ingredients. While I am doing this, I throw them into my blender. I use my Vitamix which I have had for many years because I know I get great results and can control the texture. Next, use the pulse button so that I can control how blended I want it. So it this point you need to decide how chunky you want it. Do you want large chunks or completely blended? So, if you want, you can throw in a handful of diced tomatoes in at the end to give it a more chunky texture. Finally, taste and add salt if you need to.
This is for a mild Salsa due to the fact that most of our family does not like the really hot stuff. Therefore if you desire a spicier version, you can add more pickled jalapeno before blending. Another variation to the recipe would be to use fresh jalapenos. I like it both ways.
- 2 Avacodos
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 c diced Tomato
- 2 Tbls tiny diced Onion (or even grate it)
- 1/2 tsp Chili powder
- 1 tsp diced pickled Jalepeno
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
First, peel and dice the avocados then place them in a bowl and mash them slightly at this point. Next, add the other ingredients, then gently stir in. Do this right before servicing if you can otherwise you will need to cover it with plastic wrap and press down so that there is no air between the plastic and the guacamole. Some people prefer to eat it with a squeeze of lemon or lime. Therefore, it would be nice to cut some lemons or limes and set the on the table.
Making Simple Fajitas
- 3 chicken breasts sliced into strips. I find it easier to slice them when slightly frozen.
- 4 bell peppers whatever colors you want, I prefer mixing them up. Seeded and cut into strips
- 2 onions cut into strips
- olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Garlic powder 1/4 tsp
- Cumin 1/4 tsp
- Chili powder 1/2 tsp
- After slicing all of the main ingredients, drizzle with olive oil and the rest of the ingredients. Then stir.
- Next, put a baking paper on a cookie tray. Then spread the chicken, onion and peppers on the cookie sheet.
- After that, bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked thru and veggies are soft.
- Finally, serve with tortillas, cheese, chips, salsa, guacamole and sour cream. Enjoy!
Kid Friendly Margarita
2 frozen margarita mixes from walmart, non-alcholic, they look like the frozen juice concentrate. So they will be in the juice area of the freezer section.
Prepare as directed. Then, serve in steamed glasses or whatever nice glasses you may have. Even plastic colorful glasses or solo cups look festive for a party like this.
Finally, the Decorations
- Almost everyone has a colorful table cloth. So, find a bright table cloth or a white one with colorful napkins
- Next, dig out some brightly colored dishes, Fiestaware would be perfect for this.
- Another thing would be to set up a play list on your phone or google home for Mexican music
- Maybe if you don’t have margarita glasses you could use stemmed glasses or any nice set you own or even brightly colored solo cups would due.
- Now, dig through your party closet and pull out ribbon, crate paper and colorful flowers. Maybe you can make some great flowers with just tissue papser and a pattern from pinterest as a family for some added fun. What elese do you have to do!
- Finally, if you really want to be adventurous make a piñata. This is great fun for all ages. We did this for my father’s 80th birthday party and everyone had good time beating it and then grabbing the candy.
So with just a little work, you can make some great memories and have a peaceful, safe, stay at home holiday. Even more a Cinco de Mayo made simple.